After 10 years in the top spot in the West Allis-West Milwaukee School District, Superintendent Kurt Wachholz retired Thursday, July 31.
The School Board accepted his retirement in a special meeting Wednesday night.
Wachholz served the district for 35 years. He was a teacher, a coach, district gifted and talented coordinator and principal of Jefferson Elementary School before becoming superintendent.
He also was a graduate of the West Allis-West Milwaukee schools.
The School Board hopes to begin interviewing candidates for interim superintendent on Monday, Aug. 4. The interim superintendent is expected to serve a year while the School Board finds a permanent superintendent.
- In brief: Reward, state fair deals
- In brief: Clothing giveaway
- Things to do: May 5, 2016
- Humble northern Wisconsin church triggers West Allis big-city giveaway (1)
- 'Same Time Next Year' to play at Inspiration Studios in West Allis
- Campus News: May 5, 2016
- Mother dies in drive-by shooting, suspect in West Allis killing eyed
- West Allis school officials contemplate opening a medical clinic for its employees to save money
- West Allis Police blotter: May 5, 2016
- West Allis Police respond to shots fired