After 10 years in the top spot in the West Allis-West Milwaukee School District, Superintendent Kurt Wachholz retired Thursday, July 31.
The School Board accepted his retirement in a special meeting Wednesday night.
Wachholz served the district for 35 years. He was a teacher, a coach, district gifted and talented coordinator and principal of Jefferson Elementary School before becoming superintendent.
He also was a graduate of the West Allis-West Milwaukee schools.
The School Board hopes to begin interviewing candidates for interim superintendent on Monday, Aug. 4. The interim superintendent is expected to serve a year while the School Board finds a permanent superintendent.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis-West Milwaukee teacher named Elementary Teacher of the Year
- Pawn America, city of West Allis search for answers to neighbors complaints
- West Allis mulls architectural guidelines to prevent cheap housing from hurting neighborhoods
- West Allis approves Hampton Inn plans near State Fairgrounds
- West Allis wants outdoor growing plots to take seed
- Video: Lane School back in the hands of West Allis-West Milwaukee School District
- Improvement ideas unveiled
- West Allis Police Report: Aug. 21, 2014 issue