West Allis — At the end of balloting in Tuesday's spring election there was barely a hare's breath between the two candidates to fill a vacancy in the West Allis 5th Aldermanic District.
Kevin Haass was just seven votes ahead of Gerald Matter in the race to serve the two years remaining on the term of James Sengstock who retired before his term ended.
The unofficial vote totals are:
Kevin Haass 530
Gerald Matter 523
The results remain unofficial until the Board of Canvassers meets after the NOW deadline. The lead could conceivably change as late-arriving absentee ballots are counted.
But Haass said on election night, "We'll see what that number is."
The outcome will still be close and either candidate could request a recount.
Asked if he thought the race would be so close, Haass said, "This was my first time on the ballot since the West Allis Central High School student senate. I was ready for anything."
While the race was close, it was also clean, he said.
"A good positive campaign was run by both myself and Gerry Matter and it's something we can be proud of and that the community can be proud of," Haass said.
Matter could not be reached for comment on election night.
The four-way race for three seats on the West Allis-West Milwaukee School Board resulted in first-term board member Kristi Bonaparte being bumped off the board.
The three candidates winning three-year terms on the School Board were Dan Bailey with an unofficial 2,531 votes, Gail Radonski with 2,466 votes and Diane Narlock who was making her first try for public office and garnering 2,403 votes. Bonaparte's unofficial vote total was 1,892.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Energy job cut from tax budget
- West Allis opens arms to long-awaited skate park
- Draft report admits economic harm to West Allis of likely ramp closure (2)
- West Allis woman cares for abandoned dogs; fundraiser on Nov. 22
- News & Notes: Nov. 13, 2014 issue
- Toppers pizza in West Allis tops off governor's election night party
- 'Cinderella' works some magic on West Allis Central stage
- Community Calendar: Nov. 13. 2014
- West Allis refuses to allow drinking on bar decks too close to residences