Four local schools win
state Recognition Awards
West Allis — Five West Allis-West Milwaukee elementary schools were honored by the state Department of Public Instruction that chose them to receive Title I School of Recognition Awards for the 2013-14 school year.
The award recognizes success in educating students from low-income families.
Winning the award for the first time is Franklin Elementary School. Winning it for the third year are Horace Mann, Jefferson and Longfellow elementary schools.
Wilson Elementary has now won the award for seven years.
All the award-winning schools receive Title I federal aid given to help schools provide services to high numbers or high percentages of economically disadvantaged children.
The recognition award the schools won was the Beating the Odds award, given for being in the top 25 percent of high-poverty schools in the state and for having above-average student achievement in reading and mathematics compared to schools from similarly-sized districts, schools, grade configurations, and poverty levels.
Ohio housing group
buys West Park Place
West Allis — Lamplight Communities has purchased an 118-bed assisted living facility West Park Place, 7400 W. Greenfield Ave., West Allis.
The facility was formerly owned and operated by Emeritus Corporation. The facility's new name is Lamplight Inn of West Allis.
West Park Place was originally the West Allis Inn Hotel, erected in 1964. It was converted into a retirement community in 1985. Today, the senior living facility offers nursing assistance around the clock, three daily meals, physical therapy, social activities and other services catering to elderly residents.
Lamplight Communities is headquartered in Akron, Ohio, and has senior housing facilities in Ohio, Indiana and now Wisconsin.
- In Bief: Free meals, fire, mural, fatal, FBI, brewery
- Fresh Thyme Farmers Market coming to 84 South development in Greenfield
- In brief: Reward, state fair deals
- In brief: Police mystery, parks
- In brief: Video contest, cinemas to be razed
- In brief: Whitnall focus group
- In Brief: Dangers, recognition.
- West Allis to hold public hearing for proposed Chick-fil-A restaurant on Highway 100
- News & Notes: Nov. 13, 2014 issue
- News & Notes: Aug. 7, 2014 issue
- In Brief: July 24, 2014 issue
- News & Notes: April 3
- News & Notes: March 18
- News & Notes: March 11
- News & Notes: March 4
- News & Notes: Feb. 25