Nathan Hale hosts funny kind of 'Dinner' in West Allis
Honored guest reveals his true nature as comedy play unfolds
West Allis — The comedy "The Man Who Came to Dinner," where the public persona of a witty radio personality is far from the truth of his real and mean self, will open Thursday at Nathan Hale High School, 11601 W. Lincoln Ave.
Discovering the unlovely side of their radio hero was quite a shock to the Ernest W. Stanley family, which was delighted to have the famously acerbic wit Sheridan Whiteside of New York City as a dinner guest. But having dined at the home of the Stanleys, Sheridan slips on their doorstep, breaking his hip.
An outlandish six weeks of confinement with ex-convicts invited to meals and transatlantic telephone calls resulting in a $784 phone bill follow.
Playing the lead role of the irascible Sheridan, who orders one and all around from his wheelchair, will be junior Sam Koenig, who actually uses a wheelchair.
"He's a very talented kid," said director Laura Anderle Smith, noting that Sam has appeared in other school productions, including the leading role of Seymour in Hale's production of "Little Shop of Horrors" last spring. "... He sings beautifully."
Even though Sam has his own prop for the part of the wheelchaired know-it-all, he had to win the role through competitive auditions. But this play will really allow him to shine, Smith said.
"The Man Who Came to Dinner" will be presented at 7 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday and at 2 p.m. Sunday. Admission is $7.
For information, call (414) 604-3200, Ext. 5455.
— Jane Ford-Stewart
- Milwaukee man, 37, charged with sexual assault of a child in West Allis (1)
- The drive is on to improve Greenfield, West Allis roadways
- West Allis to salute veterans with parade, memorial ceremony
- Body in parking lot identified as West Milwaukee man, 23
- Transgender issue sparks questions among Whitnall, West Allis and Greenfield school officials
- Man steals vehicle from business, returns to apply for job
- Greenfield and West Allis campus news: May 26
- Death investigation after body of a man is found in West Milwaukee
- West Allis Police blotter: May 26, 2016
- Splash into these summer drinks to get your tan on