While some hoped that the Greenfield School Board would decide on Monday whether to have Greenfield High School start later and three other schools start earlier, the board instead called for updated cost estimates on changing the times for its Feb. 11 meeting.
The board wants to know if the $210,000 cost that was estimated in 2011 for the high school to start 35 minutes later and two elementary schools and the middle school to start earlier would still be valid for the 2013-14 school year. Cost information also will be gathered on the high school starting 30 minutes later, but leaving the other school start times alone.
About six years ago, the high school went to a 7:10 a.m. start time to save money. Parents asked the board to reconsider its decision and an ad hoc committee was formed. It eventually recommended a later high school start time and adjusting start times in some other schools. The committee said educational research shows that high school students do better if school starts later and that elementary students do better if school starts earlier.
The board turned the recommendations down mainly because of the $210,000 cost. But renewed calls for a later high school start time came because of disappointment that the high school students didn't do better on the state's new academic testing program. If the students would do better with a later start, the expenditure is justified, some said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Oscar's in West Allis sports new look (5)
- Uncertainty surrounds Bublr Bikes ride-share in West Allis
- 'Moon Over Buffalo' hits West Allis stage
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: April 16
- Military honors West Allis businessman
- National Juniore Honor Society off to fast start at West Milwaukee Intermediate School: NJHS off to fast start in first year
- Tornado watch in effect
- Newcomers make strong showing in West Allis-West Milwaukee race
- West Allis School Board veteran loses board race
- West Allis police report: April 9, 2015 issue