While some hoped that the Greenfield School Board would decide on Monday whether to have Greenfield High School start later and three other schools start earlier, the board instead called for updated cost estimates on changing the times for its Feb. 11 meeting.
The board wants to know if the $210,000 cost that was estimated in 2011 for the high school to start 35 minutes later and two elementary schools and the middle school to start earlier would still be valid for the 2013-14 school year. Cost information also will be gathered on the high school starting 30 minutes later, but leaving the other school start times alone.
About six years ago, the high school went to a 7:10 a.m. start time to save money. Parents asked the board to reconsider its decision and an ad hoc committee was formed. It eventually recommended a later high school start time and adjusting start times in some other schools. The committee said educational research shows that high school students do better if school starts later and that elementary students do better if school starts earlier.
The board turned the recommendations down mainly because of the $210,000 cost. But renewed calls for a later high school start time came because of disappointment that the high school students didn't do better on the state's new academic testing program. If the students would do better with a later start, the expenditure is justified, some said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Parking ramp rising for Johnson Controls in West Allis
- Contaminated site revitalized for commercial ventures
- Customers struggle with the Nov. 5 store closing
- Inspiration Studios provides artists and actors stages to display talents in West Allis
- Inspiration Studio in downtown West Allis sparks art/theater life
- West Allis police blotter through Sept. 14
- West Allis-West Milwaukee teacher named Elementary Teacher of the Year
- Pawn America, city of West Allis search for answers to neighbors complaints