West Allis-West Milwaukee School District makes use of former Heritage Christian School building; La
West Allis — Work is going forward to prepare the West Allis-West Milwaukee School District's new fourth intermediate school for opening this fall.
Housed in the former Heritage Christian School at 1300 S. 109th St. that the district bought last winter, the new school will be known as Lane Intermediate School and will take some of the enrollment pressure off Frank Lloyd Wright Intermediate School, said Brian Vissers, director of communications.
"It's pretty packed," Vissers said, although Wright isn't operating over capacity.
Frank Lloyd Wright's enrollment last year topped 1,000 students, he said. Eventual enrollment at Lane Intermediate will be about 540 students, but probably not all would have attended Wright, he added.
Like the other intermediate schools, Lane will have grades six through eight. Students will be phased into the new school with only sixth-graders starting this fall, Vissers said.
The students will mainly come from Madison and Walker elementary schools, but others as well.
The district is using a "phasing-in" approach, so the following year, the first class will be seventh-graders and will be joined by a new crop of sixth-graders. The third year, the school will have all three grades.
"Nobody will have to transfer" with the phased-in approach, which school officials favor, he said.
The 1921 school building was originally Lane Elementary School in the West Allis-West Milwaukee District. The district sold the property in 1987 for $700,000 to Heritage. The district then bought it back for $1.9 million after a $9 million addition had been constructed.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Holiday-themed plays by West Allis/West Milwaukee students set to premiere
- Christmas spirit to burn brighter with five ways to avoid being a Scrooge
- Greenfield, West Allis holiday events begin with concerts, parade
- Nativity set exhibit West Allis Historical Society open house highlight
- West Allis names interim police chief, due to Padgett's retirement
- West Allis city no-tax-increase budget wins common council approval
- Full advisory committee endorses West Allis high school boundary plan (1)
- Christmas deadline nears for Holiday Helper donations in West Allis
- Video: A sneak peek of the new Hampton Inn West in West Allis
- Plans for National Avenue upgrade in West Allis ready for public input (1)