It's the Fourth times three in West Allis
Three-day celebration begins with parade and ends with fireworks
West Allis - West Allis salutes the Fourth of July with a celebration spanning three days.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison Marching Band will add its toe-tapping magic to the Independence Day parade on the first of those days, July 2. The parade will run along Greenfield Avenue from 77th to 70th streets, ending at Veterans Park at 70th and National Avenue. The procession will be studded with 11 bands.
Afterwards, the UW Marching Band will give a special post-parade performance that will be a highlight of the communitywide celebration in the park. The party in the park will feature children's carnival games, the Fire Department water games, the Police Department Moon Walk, inflatables, a rock climbing wall and live music and food.
July 3 features the Breakfast of Champions - honoring scholars, athletes and musicians. The event also will include a silent auction.
State Fair Park will be the locale for festivities on the Fourth of July. The Kids from Wisconsin will give a special performance at 7:30 p.m. There also will be guest speakers and patriotic music performed by the West Allis Lancer Band. At 9:30 p.m. the fireworks create a spectacular climax to the three-day celebration.
AT A GLANCE
Three days of celebrating in West Allis:
Monday, July 2
6 p.m. - Judging and prizes Centennial Park Plaza at City Hall, 7525 W. Greenfield Ave., for the best coaster wagon, costume, hat and bicycle decorating for children up to age 12.
7 p.m. - Independence Day Parade; with the University of Wisconsin-Madison Marching Band, drill teams and 11 bands marching along Greenfield Avenue from 77th to 70th, ending at Veterans Park at 70th and National Avenue.
8 to 10 p.m. - Post-parade community celebration at Veterans Memorial Park, 70th and National; featuring a performance by the UW Marching Band, children's carnival games, water games, Moon Walk, inflatables, rock climbing wall, live music and food.
Tuesday, July 3
8 a.m. - Breakfast of Champions at City Hall, Centennial Park Plaza, honoring scholars, musicians and athletes, silent auction
Wednesday, July 4
7:30 p.m. - Performance by the Kids from Wisconsin, speakers, patriotic music by the West Allis Lancer Band at Wisconsin State Fair grandstand
9:30 p.m. - Fireworks
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Speakers say new fees would endanger Scouting, hamper PTAs and others
- West Allis-West Milwaukee approves tax decrease preliminary budget
- West Allis prepares for Settlers Days weekend
- Hartland girl wins big at the Governor's livestock auction at Wisconsin State Fair
- Proposed medical offices in former Jefferson School painful to some West Allis neighbors
- West Allis considers model pot-bellied pig ordinances (1)
- Lords of the ring: Wrestlers bring the drama at Wisconsin State Fair
- West Allis hotel on Greenfield Avenue sets later grand opening
- Wisconsin State Fair bans sale of Confederate flags (4)
- West Allis-West Milwaukee high schoolers go after college credit