Greenfield — A 90-minute discussion by the Greenfield Plan Commission on Tuesday concerning St. Vincent de Paul Society's effort to establish a retail thrift store in part of the former Walmart store ended with the request being delayed until the March 11 commission meeting.
The panel had multiple concerns, including how well the thrift store would blend in with The Ridge Community Church, which owns and occupies part of the 110,000-square-foot building at 4500 S. 108th St.
St. Vincent de Paul representatives will present new plans to make the proposed facade more complementary to the exterior appearance of The Ridge, which occupies more than half the space and plans to lease out the other 50,000 square feet. St. Vincent de Paul wants to occupy 35,000 square feet.
The Plan Commission discussion also included whether a special-use permit should be granted, given that another retail thrift store, USA Family Thift, would be next door. There was some feeling that the potential conflict between the two could leave one building underutilized and detract from the overall prime commercial corridor. A public hearing on that issue would be necessary.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis city no-tax-increase budget wins common council approval
- Full advisory committee endorses West Allis high school boundary plan
- Christmas deadline nears for Holiday Helper donations in West Allis
- Video: A sneak peek of the new Hampton Inn West in West Allis
- Plans for National Avenue upgrade in West Allis ready for public input (1)
- West Allis girl, 10, receives national lifesaving award Monday
- Steering committee recommends West Allis high school boundary plan (4)
- 169 smoke alarms installed in high-risk West Allis neighborhood (2)
- Hay wagon collects ton of love for needy West Allis families Saturday (1)
- No-tax-increase proposed West Allis budget for 2016 going to a vote