West Allis Mayor Dan Devine announced Tuesday night that the Greenfield Avenue bridge will close Jan. 21.
Peter Daniels, West Allis senior roads engineer, confirmed that, saying there could be a delay until Jan. 22. The closing date had previously been Feb. 1. The bridge which spans Interstate 894 will be torn down and a new one built to accommodate a wider freeway underneath.
The crucial bridge is still scheduled to reopen by July 18, Daniels said.
Greenfield Avenue will be closed to through traffic from 106th to 96th streets, Devine said. But access to businesses will be maintained, he said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Police Notes: June 18
- News & Notes: June 18
- West Allis man finds the right prescription for life
- West Allis health commissioner honored for her healthy approach
- Feds clear Chinese investment in long-sought West Allis hotel
- Police Report: June 18
- News & Notes: June 13
- Proposed apartments gain ground in West Allis debate
- West Allis homes take a hit in market value
- Cruising may take a bruising on Highway 100 in West Allis