West Allis Mayor Dan Devine announced Tuesday night that the Greenfield Avenue bridge will close Jan. 21.
Peter Daniels, West Allis senior roads engineer, confirmed that, saying there could be a delay until Jan. 22. The closing date had previously been Feb. 1. The bridge which spans Interstate 894 will be torn down and a new one built to accommodate a wider freeway underneath.
The crucial bridge is still scheduled to reopen by July 18, Daniels said.
Greenfield Avenue will be closed to through traffic from 106th to 96th streets, Devine said. But access to businesses will be maintained, he said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- More polls workers needed for photo ID
- Body cameras for police draw interest; expesne and usefulness are hurdles
- West Allis trying to raise $10,000 on internet for fitness equipment: West Allis raising cash for fitness on Internet
- Enter Halloween contest to win tickets to Legends & Lore
- West Allis-West Milwaukee schools get $3.1 million grant
- Trash changes may be ahead in West Allis with fines
- Police notes
- Greenfield schools meet or exceed state's academic expectations