West Allis - Gas drive-offs will be a thing of the past in West Allis after the Common Council last week voted to make all drivers prepay at the pump.
It's a simple and effective crime-prevention technique, said West Allis Deputy Police Chief Bob Fletcher.
"It helps prevent stations from becoming victims and us from spending resources that could be used in other places," Fletcher said.
The Police Department requested the restriction because patrol officers have to respond to so many gas thefts. The count was nearly 700 from 2006 through 2011, Fletcher said. And it only gets worse as gas prices get higher, he added.
The highest incidents are at gas stations on well-traveled roads and those near Interstate 894.
The new ordinance affects about 25 gas stations, including Bro's Petro Mart, 6819 W. Lincoln Ave., that went prepay on its own about two weeks ago.
"It's a good idea," said Bro's Petro Mart co-owner Abdul Rauf.
Rauf switched to prepay when police, investigating drive-offs at his station, informally asked him why he didn't have prepay. He couldn't think of a reason why, and now he's glad he did it, he said.
Without prepay, Rauf said, "All the time you would have to look to see if drivers are coming in. This way, it's easy."
And the switch cost him virtually nothing, he said, although he did hear some grumbles from customers.
"You're going to see that," he said. "But I explained."
Gas stations that fail or refuse to convert pumps for the prepay approach will risk loss of their business licenses, under the new ordinance. Short of that, police will no longer investigate gas thefts where prepayment is not required.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Energy job cut from tax budget
- West Allis opens arms to long-awaited skate park
- Draft report admits economic harm to West Allis of likely ramp closure (2)
- West Allis woman cares for abandoned dogs; fundraiser on Nov. 22
- News & Notes: Nov. 13, 2014 issue
- Toppers pizza in West Allis tops off governor's election night party
- 'Cinderella' works some magic on West Allis Central stage
- Community Calendar: Nov. 13. 2014
- West Allis refuses to allow drinking on bar decks too close to residences