Most of the action in the April 2 spring election will be in races for local school boards.
The terms of three members of the West Allis-West Milwaukee School Board will expire in April, including that of School Board President Sue Stalewski. There will be no municipal races in West Allis.
On both the Greenfield and Whitnall school boards, two members' terms will expire.
The only other local election in Greenfield will be for mayor, where Michael Neitzke is finishing his second four-year term and says he will run for a third. The mayor receives $77,969 per year plus a $6,000 stipend for expenses.
As of Tuesday, only Jeff Sikich, who was appointed to the West Allis-West Milwaukee School Board in August to fill a vacancy, has announced plans to run. The terms of Stalewski and Annette Frymark also will expire in April. They could not be contacted.
Candidates can circulate nomination papers this month. The filing deadline is 5 p.m. Jan. 2 at the superintendent's office, 1205 S. 70th St.
Terms are for three years and board members receive $6,854 annually.
Greenfield School Board members Don Carlson and Rick Moze said last week that they haven't decided whether to seek re-election. Carlson is in his first term and Moze ran unsuccessfully for a second term last April. He was appointed to the board in August to fill a vacancy.
Terms are three years and board members receive $4,200 annually.
On the Whitnall School Board, Stephanie Richter, who is finishing her first term, said she hasn't decided whether she would seek re-election. Former School Board member Rick Kollauf, appointed to the board last month to fill a vacancy, has not said whether he would seek re-election, though he earlier expressed doubts that he would run.
Board members serve three years and receive $3,200 annually.
Incumbents who decide not to run have until Dec. 21 to file declarations of noncandidacy. If they don't, the candidate filing deadline will be extended beyond Jan. 2.
If a primary is needed, it will be held Feb. 19.
- West Allis to salute veterans with parade, memorial ceremony
- Body in parking lot identified as West Milwaukee man, 23
- Transgender issue sparks questions among Whitnall, West Allis and Greenfield school officials
- Man steals vehicle from business, returns to apply for job
- Greenfield and West Allis campus news: May 26
- Death investigation after body of a man is found in West Milwaukee
- West Allis Police blotter: May 26, 2016
- Splash into these summer drinks to get your tan on
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Things to do: May 19, 2016