Danny's Lounge in West Allis surrenders license after several incidents
Bar may be reopened, with restrictions, under new management
West Allis - After police responded to at least seven incidents since June 2011 at Danny's Lounge, one involving shots being fired, the operator of Danny's officially surrendered his license last week.
The surrender was called for in a stipulation filed in court, but Danny's, at 60th and Burnham streets, has actually been closed for some time.
"It's been a relief to neighbors," said Alderman Michael Czaplewski, chairman of the city's license and health committee.
Already, another party is interested in reopening the bar.
To help ensure the same problems don't crop up again, the city won't allow dancing, live music, DJs or live mic nights at the bar. Dancing and live mics were involved in the incidents at Danny's, Czaplewski said.
Serious and recent run-ins
The most serious incident was Aug. 18 and resulted in a 36-year-old Milwaukee man being charged by the Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office with two counts of felony reckless endangerment, according to West Allis police.
The man allegedly drove an SUV into two pedestrians outside the bar. One was a woman who suffered a broken arm that required surgery and the other was a man who sustained a knee injury, according to the complaint the city drew up against the bar.
A crowd of about 100 people formed outside the bar that night and police had to call for mutual aid from West Milwaukee and the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Department.
Two days later, police were again called to Danny's, this time on a report that a large group of patrons was causing a disturbance inside the bar.
The following day, police responded to yet another call involving several people yelling in the street. Again, mutual aid from West Milwaukee and the Sheriff's Department was needed.
Longer list of problems
The three incidents in August capped a string of more than seven incidents since June 11, 2011 - all well after midnight. The seven that are alleged in the city's complaint are:
June 11, 2011, 2:27 a.m. - a man yelled at passing cars and then screamed profanities at police. The man was cited for disorderly conduct and drinking in public.
Feb. 29, 2012, about 1:17 a.m. - a fight broke out inside the bar and police were not informed.
March 18, 2012, 12:29 a.m. - two men yelled profanities; both were cited for disorderly conduct.
- Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis names interim police chief, due to Padgett's retirement
- West Allis city no-tax-increase budget wins common council approval
- Full advisory committee endorses West Allis high school boundary plan (1)
- Christmas deadline nears for Holiday Helper donations in West Allis
- Video: A sneak peek of the new Hampton Inn West in West Allis
- Plans for National Avenue upgrade in West Allis ready for public input (1)
- West Allis girl, 10, receives national lifesaving award Monday
- Steering committee recommends West Allis high school boundary plan (4)
- 169 smoke alarms installed in high-risk West Allis neighborhood (2)
- Hay wagon collects ton of love for needy West Allis families Saturday (1)