Damaged West Allis Farmers Market to undergo repairs caused by a van crashing into one of its walls
West Allis — As the West Allis Farmers Market opens a new season Saturday, May 3, the plan is to restore it to original condition after a minivan hit a wall of the older section, collapsing it and part of the roof.
"I think it's the right decision," said West Allis Mayor Dan Devine. Other options were explored such as upgrading or adding seating, he said. But the market is popular and has been working well so the decision was to leave well enough alone, he said.
Restoring the market to its original form presented challenges that took time to explore. For example, some of the metal roof braces aren't made anymore.
The city won't know for sure if it can restore the market to its original form until bids are opened in a few weeks.
The city's insurance carrier will pay for the work and then seek reimbursement to whatever extent possible from the minivan driver, Devine said.
After the crash last June, some farmers were displaced and the same thing will happen to them this season.
"It will be a minor headache this year," Devine said of the construction that probably won't happen until mid or late summer.
The same farmers who were affected last year will be moved again this season.
"At least two will move to the west edge of the parking lot," said Dan Koralewski, community health environmentalist who also oversees the market, 1559 S. 65th St. A third probably will have only half his stall, he said.
"They'll be in a different spot, but it's not like they'll be out in left field," Koralewski said. He fully appreciates that people won't walk across the lot for just two sellers, he said.
Depending on when construction actually starts, the farmers could occupy stalls temporarily empty even though the market itself is fully booked, Koralewski said. For example, some farmers don't sell melons that come late in the season so their stalls would be free, he said.
"We'll have to play it by ear," he said.
AT A GLANCE
WHAT: the West Allis Farmers Market
WHEN: starting its 2014 season May 3. Saturday hours 1 to 6 p.m.; Tuesdays and Thursdays, noon to 6 p.m.
WHERE: 1559 S. 65th St.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Milwaukee IndyFest comes to West Allis this weekend
- West Allis is on the move again with mayor's exercise challenge
- West Allis Central fieldhouse named for beloved wrestling coach Stech
- New Berlin Police Department gives commendations, awards
- Accident causes two lanes of I-894/US 45 to close
- Jefferson Elementary School, West Allis, awarded pair of grants
- West Allis to celebrate Independence Day with parade, fireworks
- Painting exhibition to open at Inspiration Studios, West Allis
- West Allis to start pilot program accepting electronics, TVs
- West Allis police report: June 18, 2015 issue