A West Allis couple didn't win the really big Powerball prize, but they're more than happy to take the consolation - $1 million.
Dennis and Mary Retterath bought a quick-pick ticket at the Speedway, 9130 W. Oklahoma Ave. and five numbers matched - just not the Powerball, which would have upped their take to a portion of the record $587.5 million payout shared by winners in Missouri and Arizona.
But to them, it might as well have been the big enchilada.
Mary said the couple screamed when they realized they'd won and the first thing they did was call all their children.
"I was crying so hard, they thought something happened to Dennis," she said Friday.
"They were crying right along with me. They were so excited."
She said the couple's still numb about their good fortune and haven't made plans.
"We still can't believe it. It's like it can't be true," Mary said. "Someone, pinch us and wake us up."
Dennis, 74, is a retired pipe fitter, and Mary, 62, works in child care, she said. They have four adult children and were longtime foster parents.
The Retteraths have agreed to speak at a news conference Monday morning at West Allis City Hall, according to Wisconsin Lottery officials, who the winners Friday.
After taxes, the couple will get $672,500.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis opens arms to long-awaited skate park
- Draft report admits economic harm to West Allis of likely ramp closure (2)
- Energy job cut from tax budget
- West Allis woman cares for abandoned dogs; fundraiser on Nov. 22
- Toppers pizza in West Allis tops off governor's election night party
- 'Cinderella' works some magic on West Allis Central stage
- West Allis refuses to allow drinking on bar decks too close to residences
- West Allis considers how to play with available park dollars
- Liberace still glitters in West Milwaukee lore
- Joe Sanfelippo returns to Assembly 15 seat, which includes West Allis