Ryan Otto will represent the Wisconsin Figure Skating Club and the Upper Great Lakes Region in the 2009 United States Figure Skating Junior Championships.
Otto, a freshman at Whitnall High School, will compete the intermediate division of mens freestyle. The championships will take place in Lake Placid, N.Y., from Monday, Dec. 8, through Saturday, Dec. 13.
The annual event crowns the U.S. champion in ladies, mens, pairs and ice dancing in the first two levels of the U.S. Figure Skating competitive structure: juvenile and intermediate.
Otto recently returned from competing in the Intermediate mens freestyle in the 2009 Upper Great Lakes Regional Championships in St. Paul, Minn.
He placed fifth with his short program and first in his long program. His combined scores awarded him a silver medal and qualified him to compete in the 2009 United States Junior Figure Skating Championships.
Otto, 14, has been skating since he was 5. Hen trains primarily in Gurnee, Ill., and at the Pettit National Ice Center in West Allis.
He is coached by Janel Wamboldt and Katie Kerley. He skates six days per week, does off-ice classes and works with a strength trainer twice a week.
The Wisconsin Figure Skating Club, Inc. is a nonprofit organization and a member of the U.S. Figure Skating Association, the national governing body for the sport of figure skating.
More information is available at wisconsinfsc.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis-West Milwaukee School Board decides Hale overcrowding issue (1)
- Whitnall school referendum heads April 7 ballot
- West Allis-West Milwaukee School District taps Shorewood superintendent for top spot
- Students, parents say response to overcrowding at Nathan Hale is unfair (3)
- West Allis students star in webcast on educational use of technology streamed to D.C. event
- West Allis School Board candidates reveal views on new superintendent, future of district
- Lifelong friends reunite at West Allis retirement home, share youthful memories of tragedy and recovery
- Community health assessment survey coming to West Allis and Greenfield
- Batcher rolls out first art exhibit in Inspiration Studios in West Allis
- West Allis Central to bring Agatha Christie novel to its stage