West Allis - The Center for Communication, Hearing & Deafness in West Allis, the only place of its kind in Wisconsin, is celebrating its 85th year.
The center, 10243 W. National Ave., annually serves about 6,000 children and adults with hearing and communication disabilities. It offers personalized services, technology and education. It also offers early intervention for children to help keep them from falling behind in school, parent education, hearing rehabilitation and independent living skills training for adults. It has full audiology services and sign language interpreting.
Through its tele therapy program the center helps children via the Internet all over the country. It also has a hearing product store with an online catalog that people nationwide access.
The center started in the downtown area as a program that offered people with hearing difficulties the chance to participate in social gatherings, said Kerry Malak, communications director. As hearing technology improved, the focus turned to the more clinical side of things, she said.
The center moved from the downtown Milwaukee area to Brookfield and then to West Allis, in 2005, she said.
- Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis city no-tax-increase budget wins common council approval
- Full advisory committee endorses West Allis high school boundary plan (1)
- Christmas deadline nears for Holiday Helper donations in West Allis
- Video: A sneak peek of the new Hampton Inn West in West Allis
- Plans for National Avenue upgrade in West Allis ready for public input (1)
- West Allis girl, 10, receives national lifesaving award Monday
- Steering committee recommends West Allis high school boundary plan (4)
- 169 smoke alarms installed in high-risk West Allis neighborhood (2)
- Hay wagon collects ton of love for needy West Allis families Saturday (1)
- No-tax-increase proposed West Allis budget for 2016 going to a vote