Cell tower won't be built in Greenfield residential neighborhood
AT&T withdraws request
AT&T has withdrawn its request to place a controversial cell tower in the midst of a Greenfield residential neighborhood.
Greenfield officials were concerned about the impact of the more than 70-foot tower on surrounding homes. Neighborhood unrest appeared to be stirring as the proposed tower started the city approval process this month.
The Greenfield Plan Commission called for more information about the fall zone of the tower. It also notified AT&T, which was working through a tower search company, Creospan Inc., that the city wanted to do an independent verification of fall zone calculations that AT&T would have to pay for it.
City staff expressed serious doubts that the fall zone would comply with city safety codes.
No reason was given as to why the tower request was withdrawn.
Greenfield doesn't allow cell towers in residential neighborhoods, but this one would have been on property of a neighborhood tavern that has the commercial zoning needed for cell towers. AT&T officials said they wanted a tower there because the area is either a dead zone or its customers get very weak signals.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis putting foot down on snakes and rat breeding to feed them
- Wauwatosa rubber stamp company Schwaab chooses Brookfield for new home
- West Allis police report: Feb. 5, 2015 issue
- West Allis approves moratorium on non-charitable secondhand stores
- Partial closing of the I-94 Interchange at Hawley Road in West Allis has some merchants steaming
- Enhancement ideas sought for a main West Allis roadway
- West Allis Central High School trying to shed bad rap
- West Allis-West Milwaukee School Board president condemns assignment (4)
- Lottery won't be used to pick Nathan Hale High School freshmen
- Greenfield police report: Feb. 26, 2015 issue