West Allis - A 45-year-old cabdriver was charged by the Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office with false imprisonment and fourth-degree sexual assault of a 16-year-old West Allis girl.
According to the criminal complaint filed Friday:
Opinder Singh of Greenfield first approached the girl at about 7:20 a.m. May 24 near West Allis Central High School and offered her a ride, even after she told him she was only walking two blocks to talk to a friend. She accepted, and he dropped her off without incident.
But after talking with her friend for about 15 minutes, she said she again passed the cab while it was parked in the 7700 block of Becher Street, where the cabdriver again offered her a ride, this time back to the high school. When she was inside, he drove several blocks, parked near 82nd and Grant streets, locked the cab doors and then placed his hands inappropriately on her thigh and her breast. The girl fended him off, and Singh eventually drove her to school.
The sexual assault and false imprisonment charges are tied to that incident.
Singh admitted that the girl did not give him permission to touch her, but he denied locking the cab doors, the complaint said.
The complaint also referenced an incident less than a half-hour earlier that morning, when Singh allegedly tried to entice a 13-year-old girl on her way to Lincoln Intermediate School to ride in the cab, offering her cigarettes in the process, in the area of 68th and 69th and Orchard Street. After she refused, the girl said the cab followed her for several blocks. He admitted offering the girl a ride and asked if she smoked, but added that she walked away.
For that incident, Singh also is charged with disorderly conduct.
The disorderly conduct and fourth-degree sexual assault charges are both misdemeanors and the false imprisonment is a felony. If convicted of all three, he could face a maximum sentence of seven years in prison.
Police are asking that anyone else approached or assaulted in a similar manner to contact West Allis Detective Stacie Napoli at (414) 302-8091.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis-West Milwaukee taps Shorewood superintendent for top spot
- Students, parents say response to overcrowding at Nathan Hale is unfair
- Glendale mayoral candidates will debate city issues tonight
- Decision delayed on Nathan Hale High School overcrowding
- West Allis police report: March 26, 2015 issue
- Greenfield police report: March 26, 2015 issue
- Greenfield police report: March 19, 2015 issue
- West Allis students star in webcast on educational use of technology streamed to D.C. event
- West Allis school board to hold special meeting to OK superintendent
- Greenfield High School assistant principal going to Arrowhead