Two people were arrested after police received a report that a man armed with a handgun assaulted a woman at a birthday party in Greenfield on Aug. 22.
According to the police report, which was released today:
A group of people were gathered for a birthday celebration outside an apartment building in the 2800 block of West Bridge Street when the ex-boyfriend of one of the partygoers walked up to a woman and started punching her in the face and chest. The suspect was apparently upset with the woman because she was dating his ex-girlfriend.
When several people attempted to pull the suspect off the victim, a handgun fell out of a holster the victim had on his waistband. A woman who was familiar with both the suspect and the victim grabbed the gun before the suspect could pick it up, and fled the scene in a green Ford Expedition.
Officers responding to the scene located the suspect and another man near a grocery store on South 27th Street and West Ramsey Avenue, where the suspect, a 28-year-old Milwaukee man, was taken into custody. When police found the empty holster on the suspect, he denied having a gun in his possession that evening, but did state that he had conceal carry permit.
Greenfield police arrested the man for battery, disorderly conduct while armed and obstructing authorities, and transported him to the county jail facility.
Officers later tracked down the woman who took the gun, a loaded Beretta 9mm compact pistol, and she willingly turned it over to police. She told police she fled with the gun because she was afraid the suspect might use it to shoot someone.
The suspect's ex-girlfriend, a 27-year-old Milwaukee woman, was also arrested for disorderly conduct after she began arguing loudly with another group of women at the scene and then refused to comply with police when she was told to stop screaming.
The victim, who had a swollen lip, refused transport to the hospital.
- West Allis Police respond to shots fired
- West Allis woman wins $50,000 in Powerball (1)
- In brief: Police mystery, parks
- Things to do: Rummage sales, farmers market, clothing giveaway
- Video: Dine and Dash teams to eat and drink their way through West Allis
- West Allis Police Blotter: April 28, 2016
- West Allis contemplating $80 million referendum to build a new Central High School (4)
- West Allis police ask help in 1995 disappearance of woman
- West Allis Police Blotter: April 21, 2016
- Fusion band Mas Soul to perform April 30