Two people were arrested after police received a report that a man armed with a handgun assaulted a woman at a birthday party in Greenfield on Aug. 22.
According to the police report, which was released today:
A group of people were gathered for a birthday celebration outside an apartment building in the 2800 block of West Bridge Street when the ex-boyfriend of one of the partygoers walked up to a woman and started punching her in the face and chest. The suspect was apparently upset with the woman because she was dating his ex-girlfriend.
When several people attempted to pull the suspect off the victim, a handgun fell out of a holster the victim had on his waistband. A woman who was familiar with both the suspect and the victim grabbed the gun before the suspect could pick it up, and fled the scene in a green Ford Expedition.
Officers responding to the scene located the suspect and another man near a grocery store on South 27th Street and West Ramsey Avenue, where the suspect, a 28-year-old Milwaukee man, was taken into custody. When police found the empty holster on the suspect, he denied having a gun in his possession that evening, but did state that he had conceal carry permit.
Greenfield police arrested the man for battery, disorderly conduct while armed and obstructing authorities, and transported him to the county jail facility.
Officers later tracked down the woman who took the gun, a loaded Beretta 9mm compact pistol, and she willingly turned it over to police. She told police she fled with the gun because she was afraid the suspect might use it to shoot someone.
The suspect's ex-girlfriend, a 27-year-old Milwaukee woman, was also arrested for disorderly conduct after she began arguing loudly with another group of women at the scene and then refused to comply with police when she was told to stop screaming.
The victim, who had a swollen lip, refused transport to the hospital.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Accident causes two lanes of I-894/US 45 to close
- Jefferson Elementary School, West Allis, awarded pair of grants
- West Allis to celebrate Independence Day with parade, fireworks
- Painting exhibition to open at Inspiration Studios, West Allis
- West Allis to start pilot program accepting electronics, TVs
- West Allis police report: June 18, 2015 issue
- West Allis painting 'shabby' railroad bridge over Greenfield Avenue
- Original one-act plays to take the stage this weekend in West Allis
- Behavioral network recognizes 16 West Allis-West Milwaukee schools
- West Allis police report: June 11, 2015 issue