Two people were arrested after police received a report that a man armed with a handgun assaulted a woman at a birthday party in Greenfield on Aug. 22.
According to the police report, which was released today:
A group of people were gathered for a birthday celebration outside an apartment building in the 2800 block of West Bridge Street when the ex-boyfriend of one of the partygoers walked up to a woman and started punching her in the face and chest. The suspect was apparently upset with the woman because she was dating his ex-girlfriend.
When several people attempted to pull the suspect off the victim, a handgun fell out of a holster the victim had on his waistband. A woman who was familiar with both the suspect and the victim grabbed the gun before the suspect could pick it up, and fled the scene in a green Ford Expedition.
Officers responding to the scene located the suspect and another man near a grocery store on South 27th Street and West Ramsey Avenue, where the suspect, a 28-year-old Milwaukee man, was taken into custody. When police found the empty holster on the suspect, he denied having a gun in his possession that evening, but did state that he had conceal carry permit.
Greenfield police arrested the man for battery, disorderly conduct while armed and obstructing authorities, and transported him to the county jail facility.
Officers later tracked down the woman who took the gun, a loaded Beretta 9mm compact pistol, and she willingly turned it over to police. She told police she fled with the gun because she was afraid the suspect might use it to shoot someone.
The suspect's ex-girlfriend, a 27-year-old Milwaukee woman, was also arrested for disorderly conduct after she began arguing loudly with another group of women at the scene and then refused to comply with police when she was told to stop screaming.
The victim, who had a swollen lip, refused transport to the hospital.
- Milwaukee man, 37, charged with sexual assault of a child in West Allis (1)
- The drive is on to improve Greenfield, West Allis roadways
- West Allis to salute veterans with parade, memorial ceremony
- Body in parking lot identified as West Milwaukee man, 23
- Transgender issue sparks questions among Whitnall, West Allis and Greenfield school officials
- Man steals vehicle from business, returns to apply for job
- Greenfield and West Allis campus news: May 26
- Death investigation after body of a man is found in West Milwaukee
- West Allis Police blotter: May 26, 2016
- Splash into these summer drinks to get your tan on