The West Allis Police and Fire Commission has chosen Acting Police Chief Charles Padgett as the new police chief.
Padgett began his career with the West Allis Police Department in May of 1988. Before becoming acting chief in November, 2012, Padgett was a deputy chief of police.
"Chief Padgett has demonstrated not only a professional ability to operate the department, but also the people skills necessary to do an outstanding job," Police and Fire Commission President Joseph Kempen said in a news release announcing the appointment. "His insight and commitment to the principles of community-oriented policing will be an asset to the department and the citizens of West Allis."
The commission chose Padgett on Thursday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Luther Memorial Church in West Alis to hold spaghetti dinner
- Update: West Allis Central High School students respond calmly during bomb-threat evacuation (11)
- Data skimmers found on several ATMs in West Allis, police warn (2)
- West Allis police blotter: Feb. 4
- West Allis schools to leave SAGE, open more seats for nonresidents
- West Allis schools to start trek back to neighborhood schools in fall (8)
- Freeway lanes in West Allis closed
- Community Calendar: Jan. 28, 2016
- West Allis police report: Jan. 28, 2016
- Video: Third Sandwich-a-Thon in West Allis turns out 400 sandwiches for homeless shelter