The West Allis Police and Fire Commission has chosen Acting Police Chief Charles Padgett as the new police chief.
Padgett began his career with the West Allis Police Department in May of 1988. Before becoming acting chief in November, 2012, Padgett was a deputy chief of police.
"Chief Padgett has demonstrated not only a professional ability to operate the department, but also the people skills necessary to do an outstanding job," Police and Fire Commission President Joseph Kempen said in a news release announcing the appointment. "His insight and commitment to the principles of community-oriented policing will be an asset to the department and the citizens of West Allis."
The commission chose Padgett on Thursday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wisconsin State Fair bans sale of Confederate flags (1)
- West Allis-West Milwaukee high schoolers go after college credit
- West Allis Health Department nurse wins state award
- 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' to open at Inspiration Studios
- 84th Street ramps at I-94 to be open for the Wisconsin State Fair
- West Allis superintendent named to school advocacy group leadership
- Educator from Anchorage likely to take reins of West Allis school
- West Allis schools closing door on bad material, but window open
- Survey: More than half West Allis-West Milwaukee underclassmen feel unsafe (2)
- West Allis school officials worry parents can't monitor iPads (5)