A Mexican restaurant could move into the former Tommasino Italia building in downtown West Allis.
Deborah Ramirez has proposed opening an eatery called Mis Suenos at 7335 W. Greenfield Ave.
Ramirez is now the manager and owns a percentage of Monreal's El Matador restaurant, 9155 W. Blue Mound Road. She and her husband are selling their invested interest in El Matador and have purchased the Tommasino property, according to a report to Plan Commission members.
The new dining establishment will continue the Ramirezs' Mexican-American dishes, "trademark" margaritas and weekend breakfast specials, according to the report.
The restaurant, which may also feature sidewalk and patio dining, is expected to create 25 jobs. City officials are hoping it will also bring more people and money into downtown.
Development Director John Stibal said Mis Suenos is exactly the type of restaurant West Allis is trying to attract and should be a "destination" business for the downtown.
"It's a very high-quality restaurant and we're looking forward to having them in the community," Stibal said.
Mayor Dan Devine said he, too, was excited about Mis Suenos' impending arrival, noting Ramirez's 35 years of experience working at El Matador.
"There's been a lot of really, really nice additions to the (downtown), and this is another one," Devine said.
A public hearing is scheduled for July 6 during the 7 p.m. Common Council meeting at City Hall, 7525 W. Greenfield Ave.
Tommasino Italia, formerly called Doyle's Milwaukee Inn, closed last year.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis Police Report: Oct. 30, 2014
- Vote at polls on Nov. 4 from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. in West Allis/Greenfield
- West Allis business guide helps entrepreneurs get started
- West Allis to hold hearing on 0.28 percent levy increase 2015 budget
- New venue for the Forks & Corks chamber fundraiser in West Allis
- Speakers split evenly on West Allis proposed sewer lateral program
- Where is West Allis education headed?
- West Allis to start process to approve new city administrator