A Mexican restaurant could move into the former Tommasino Italia building in downtown West Allis.
Deborah Ramirez has proposed opening an eatery called Mis Suenos at 7335 W. Greenfield Ave.
Ramirez is now the manager and owns a percentage of Monreal's El Matador restaurant, 9155 W. Blue Mound Road. She and her husband are selling their invested interest in El Matador and have purchased the Tommasino property, according to a report to Plan Commission members.
The new dining establishment will continue the Ramirezs' Mexican-American dishes, "trademark" margaritas and weekend breakfast specials, according to the report.
The restaurant, which may also feature sidewalk and patio dining, is expected to create 25 jobs. City officials are hoping it will also bring more people and money into downtown.
Development Director John Stibal said Mis Suenos is exactly the type of restaurant West Allis is trying to attract and should be a "destination" business for the downtown.
"It's a very high-quality restaurant and we're looking forward to having them in the community," Stibal said.
Mayor Dan Devine said he, too, was excited about Mis Suenos' impending arrival, noting Ramirez's 35 years of experience working at El Matador.
"There's been a lot of really, really nice additions to the (downtown), and this is another one," Devine said.
A public hearing is scheduled for July 6 during the 7 p.m. Common Council meeting at City Hall, 7525 W. Greenfield Ave.
Tommasino Italia, formerly called Doyle's Milwaukee Inn, closed last year.
- West Allis woman wins $50,000 in Powerball
- In brief: Police mystery, parks
- Things to do: Rummage sales, farmers market, clothing giveaway
- Video: Dine and Dash teams to eat and drink their way through West Allis
- West Allis Police Blotter: April 28, 2016
- West Allis contemplating $80 million referendum to build a new Central High School (4)
- West Allis police ask help in 1995 disappearance of woman
- West Allis Police Blotter: April 21, 2016
- Fusion band Mas Soul to perform April 30
- In brief: Kohl honorees, band concert