The long-vacant Chalet restaurant in the Six Points neighborhood will be demolished this summer.
The property, 6215 W. National Ave., received a "raze or repair" order from the city's Building Inspections and Neighborhood Services Department due to a series of code violations, Development Director John Stibal said.
The property owner did not make the necessary repairs and the city received court orders to demolish the building, he said.
The building footprint will be graded and seeded and the existing pavement areas will remain. The city will not take ownership of the property, Development Department officials said.
The building has been vacant since 2006. The Common Council in March 2009 approved a proposal for an American/Chinese restaurant, but the business never materialized.
Right across the street from the Chalet restaurant is the Paradise Theater, another building that has received raze or repair orders. City and elected officials are still mulling the future of the 81-year-old building, in the heart of one of the biggest redevelopment areas in West Allis.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Trash Interrupted: Collage Exhibition by Karen Loper
- Campus News: Feb. 11
- West Allis might hold meeting to help drivers find alternate routes
- West Allis Police blotter: Feb. 11
- Luther Memorial Church in West Alis to hold spaghetti dinner (1)
- Update: West Allis Central High School students respond calmly during bomb-threat evacuation (11)
- Data skimmers found on several ATMs in West Allis, police warn (2)
- West Allis police blotter: Feb. 4
- West Allis schools to leave SAGE, open more seats for nonresidents (1)
- West Allis schools to start trek back to neighborhood schools in fall (10)