The long-vacant Chalet restaurant in the Six Points neighborhood will be demolished this summer.
The property, 6215 W. National Ave., received a "raze or repair" order from the city's Building Inspections and Neighborhood Services Department due to a series of code violations, Development Director John Stibal said.
The property owner did not make the necessary repairs and the city received court orders to demolish the building, he said.
The building footprint will be graded and seeded and the existing pavement areas will remain. The city will not take ownership of the property, Development Department officials said.
The building has been vacant since 2006. The Common Council in March 2009 approved a proposal for an American/Chinese restaurant, but the business never materialized.
Right across the street from the Chalet restaurant is the Paradise Theater, another building that has received raze or repair orders. City and elected officials are still mulling the future of the 81-year-old building, in the heart of one of the biggest redevelopment areas in West Allis.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis Police Report: Oct. 30, 2014
- Vote at polls on Nov. 4 from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. in West Allis/Greenfield
- West Allis business guide helps entrepreneurs get started
- West Allis to hold hearing on 0.28 percent levy increase 2015 budget
- New venue for the Forks & Corks chamber fundraiser in West Allis
- Speakers split evenly on West Allis proposed sewer lateral program
- Where is West Allis education headed?
- West Allis to start process to approve new city administrator