West Allis — Police arrested five drunken drivers on Monday as part of a countywide initiative to beef up enforcement during the Milwaukee Brewers' season opener.
Extra squads were on the road in West Allis and throughout Milwaukee County from 3 p.m. to 3 a.m. thanks to grant money from the state Department of Transportation to pay for officers' overtime.
Among those arrested was a 28-year-old man who was clocked at 86 miles per hour in a 30-mph speed zone near 52nd Street and Lincoln Avenue.
The driver ran three stop signs before police caught up with him at 57th Street. He pulled over on the grass when officers flashed their emergency lights.
The officer who made the arrest wrote in his report the man went by him so fast his squad car shook, police Capt. Chuck Unger said.
West Allis police made their first drunken-driving arrest at 2:30 p.m. Officers found a 27-year-old man passed out behind the wheel of a car parked on the wrong side of the road near 81st and Rogers streets.
The last arrest came at 2:25 a.m. near 77th Street and Lincoln Avenue. Police following up on a tip found a vehicle with its entire front end and windshield destroyed.
Three people were inside the car. After investigating, police arrested a 22-year-old man for drunken driving.
It was not immediately clear how the car suffered the damage, Unger said.
- Mark Schaaf
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis police report: April 30, 2015 issue
- Greenfield police report: April 30, 2015 issue
- West Allis police report: April 23, 2015 issue
- Greenfield police report: April 23, 2015 issue
- Trees being felled at Greenfield Park for golf course upgrades and disease prevention
- Oscar's in West Allis sports new look (5)
- Uncertainty surrounds Bublr Bikes ride-share in West Allis
- 'Moon Over Buffalo' hits West Allis stage
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: April 16
- Military honors West Allis businessman