West Allis — fter two years of poor weather and declining attendance, the West Allis Christmas parade is moving move back to its old time slot.
This year's parade will be held nine days before Thanksgiving, just as it was for decades prior to its move in 2007 to the first Saturday in December.
The parade is set for 7 p.m. Nov. 17 along Greenfield Avenue, from 81st to 66th streets. A 6:30 p.m. tree lighting ceremony at City Hall will kick off the festivities, this year under the theme "Miracle of Christmas."
Parade organizers heard from many residents who wanted it moved to its former time and date because of cold and snowy weather the previous two years, parade Chairwoman Marjorie Larson said.
Two years ago, the parade was held during a snowstorm and last year it was marked by flurries and cold temperatures. The past inclement weather even led some participants to pull their vehicles out of the parade, Larson said.
Nov. 17 was chosen out of tradition and also because it is one of the few dates with no major conflicts with other events, Larson said. Organizers wanted to avoid scheduling the same time as activities at State Fair Park, Milwaukee's Christmas parade and the opening weekend of deer hunting.
The parade also now re-establishes itself as one of the earliest in the region.
"We have a number of units already confirmed and we're hoping it will be as big and good as it was last year," Larson said.
The West Allis Charities, the primary organizers of the parade, is looking for volunteers to provide vehicles for the parade and to help with the event itself.
Those interested can call Larson at (414) 403-1347 and should plan to attend an orientation meeting at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 16 at City Hall, 7525 W. Greenfield Ave.
- Mark Schaaf
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New job initiatives to launch at West Allis schools
- Twisted Bistro owners want business to become a top dog in West Allis
- West Allis police report: Dec. 18, 2014 issue
- Greenfield police notes Dec. 16, 2014
- Greenfield police report: Dec. 18, 2014 issue
- West Allis-West Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce fundraiser does OK
- Memphis resident honors West Allis girl's memory in St. Jude marathon
- Greenfield police report: Dec. 11, 2014 issue
- West Allis police report: Dec. 11, 2014 issue
- West Allis takes stronger control of pawn shops