A longtime West Allis-West Milwaukee School Board member has died.
Robert Kitchen, 80, died yesterday following a hospitalization, district Communication Specialist Brian Vissers said. The cause of death was not immediately known.
Kitchen was first elected to the board in 1990 and most recently re-elected in April 2008.
He graduated from high school in Cheboygan, Mich., and earned a bachelor's degree in marketing and economics from Michigan State University in 1951.
Kitchen lived in West Allis for more than 40 years. Besides the School Board, he served on the West Allis Plan Commission from 1978 to 1995 and also on the West Allis Community Improvement Committee.
He is survived by his wife, Marlene, one daughter and two grandchildren.
Vissers said the School Board will observe a moment of silence in Kitchen's memory before the Sept. 28 board meeting.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Energy job cut from tax budget
- West Allis opens arms to long-awaited skate park
- Draft report admits economic harm to West Allis of likely ramp closure (2)
- West Allis woman cares for abandoned dogs; fundraiser on Nov. 22
- News & Notes: Nov. 13, 2014 issue
- Toppers pizza in West Allis tops off governor's election night party
- 'Cinderella' works some magic on West Allis Central stage
- Community Calendar: Nov. 13. 2014
- West Allis refuses to allow drinking on bar decks too close to residences