A longtime West Allis-West Milwaukee School Board member has died.
Robert Kitchen, 80, died yesterday following a hospitalization, district Communication Specialist Brian Vissers said. The cause of death was not immediately known.
Kitchen was first elected to the board in 1990 and most recently re-elected in April 2008.
He graduated from high school in Cheboygan, Mich., and earned a bachelor's degree in marketing and economics from Michigan State University in 1951.
Kitchen lived in West Allis for more than 40 years. Besides the School Board, he served on the West Allis Plan Commission from 1978 to 1995 and also on the West Allis Community Improvement Committee.
He is survived by his wife, Marlene, one daughter and two grandchildren.
Vissers said the School Board will observe a moment of silence in Kitchen's memory before the Sept. 28 board meeting.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis police report
- Speakers say new fees would endanger Scouting, hamper PTAs and others
- West Allis-West Milwaukee approves tax decrease preliminary budget
- West Allis prepares for Settlers Days weekend
- Hartland girl wins big at the Governor's livestock auction at Wisconsin State Fair
- Proposed medical offices in former Jefferson School painful to some West Allis neighbors
- West Allis considers model pot-bellied pig ordinances (1)
- Lords of the ring: Wrestlers bring the drama at Wisconsin State Fair
- West Allis hotel on Greenfield Avenue sets later grand opening
- Wisconsin State Fair bans sale of Confederate flags (4)