West Allis — Veteran area superintendent of schools Paul Strobel was named interim superintendent of the West Allis-West Milwaukee School District by the school board on Monday, Aug. 11.
Strobel was superintendent of the Mukwonago Area School District for 31 years, retiring last year.
He will become the West Allis-West Milwaukee superintendent effective immediately. Strobel will serve the 2014-15 school year for newly retired Superintendent Kurt Wachholz.
Strobel was chosen after the school board interviewed four experienced retired superintendents last week.
Strobel taught in Waterford and Milwaukee before becoming a middle school principal in Mukwonago in 1978. Four years later, he skyrocketed to superintendent.
At his retirement last year, his staff described him in glowing terms.
"He is very respectful of the work being done at each building and allowed the principal and staff to find the best way to establish the culture of learning in their schools," said Bob Slane, an elementary school principal.
"It has been an honor working for him," said Shawn Waller, also an elementary school principal.
Middle school Principal Mark Doome said, "Paul was reflective and demonstrated the ability to see issues from the perspective of all stakeholders."
Strobel holds a doctorate in urban education and administrative leadership from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
"We are honored to have him help us during our transition to find a permanent superintendent," West Allis-West Milwaukee School Board President Pat Kerhin said in a news release.
The search for a permanent replacement will begin in late fall and will include focus groups and listening sessions with staff, students, parents and community members. This process will continue until a final candidate is chosen.
— Jane Ford-Stewart and Carol Spaeth-Bauer
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Trash Interrupted: Collage Exhibition by Karen Loper (1)
- Campus News: Feb. 11
- West Allis might hold meeting to help drivers find alternate routes (2)
- West Allis Police blotter: Feb. 11 (1)
- Luther Memorial Church in West Alis to hold spaghetti dinner (1)
- West Allis Central High School students respond calmly during bomb-threat evacuation (12)
- Data skimmers found on several ATMs in West Allis, police warn (2)
- West Allis police blotter: Feb. 4
- West Allis schools to leave SAGE, open more seats for nonresidents (1)
- West Allis schools to start trek back to neighborhood schools in fall (10)