West Allis-West Milwaukee School District makes use of former Heritage Christian School building; La
West Allis — Work is going forward to prepare the West Allis-West Milwaukee School District's new fourth intermediate school for opening this fall.
Housed in the former Heritage Christian School at 1300 S. 109th St. that the district bought last winter, the new school will be known as Lane Intermediate School and will take some of the enrollment pressure off Frank Lloyd Wright Intermediate School, said Brian Vissers, director of communications.
"It's pretty packed," Vissers said, although Wright isn't operating over capacity.
Frank Lloyd Wright's enrollment last year topped 1,000 students, he said. Eventual enrollment at Lane Intermediate will be about 540 students, but probably not all would have attended Wright, he added.
Like the other intermediate schools, Lane will have grades six through eight. Students will be phased into the new school with only sixth-graders starting this fall, Vissers said.
The students will mainly come from Madison and Walker elementary schools, but others as well.
The district is using a "phasing-in" approach, so the following year, the first class will be seventh-graders and will be joined by a new crop of sixth-graders. The third year, the school will have all three grades.
"Nobody will have to transfer" with the phased-in approach, which school officials favor, he said.
The 1921 school building was originally Lane Elementary School in the West Allis-West Milwaukee District. The district sold the property in 1987 for $700,000 to Heritage. The district then bought it back for $1.9 million after a $9 million addition had been constructed.
- West Allis hears 72nd Street residents who don't want bumpouts
- West Allis helping fledgling craft brewery get started
- Young West Allis family has tough time getting to Hank Aaron Trail
- Greenfield couple calls police on their attacking cat
- Trio of summer concerts to open at Inspiration Studios, West Allis
- Things to do: June 23, 2016
- Burglaries at 10-year low in West Allis, robberies hit 10-year high
- West Allis Police blotter: June 23, 2016
- After facelift, Greenfield Park Golf Course re-opens to rave reviews
- Community Calendar: June 16, 2016