Damaged West Allis Farmers Market to undergo repairs caused by a van crashing into one of its walls
West Allis — As the West Allis Farmers Market opens a new season Saturday, May 3, the plan is to restore it to original condition after a minivan hit a wall of the older section, collapsing it and part of the roof.
"I think it's the right decision," said West Allis Mayor Dan Devine. Other options were explored such as upgrading or adding seating, he said. But the market is popular and has been working well so the decision was to leave well enough alone, he said.
Restoring the market to its original form presented challenges that took time to explore. For example, some of the metal roof braces aren't made anymore.
The city won't know for sure if it can restore the market to its original form until bids are opened in a few weeks.
The city's insurance carrier will pay for the work and then seek reimbursement to whatever extent possible from the minivan driver, Devine said.
After the crash last June, some farmers were displaced and the same thing will happen to them this season.
"It will be a minor headache this year," Devine said of the construction that probably won't happen until mid or late summer.
The same farmers who were affected last year will be moved again this season.
"At least two will move to the west edge of the parking lot," said Dan Koralewski, community health environmentalist who also oversees the market, 1559 S. 65th St. A third probably will have only half his stall, he said.
"They'll be in a different spot, but it's not like they'll be out in left field," Koralewski said. He fully appreciates that people won't walk across the lot for just two sellers, he said.
Depending on when construction actually starts, the farmers could occupy stalls temporarily empty even though the market itself is fully booked, Koralewski said. For example, some farmers don't sell melons that come late in the season so their stalls would be free, he said.
"We'll have to play it by ear," he said.
AT A GLANCE
WHAT: the West Allis Farmers Market
WHEN: starting its 2014 season May 3. Saturday hours 1 to 6 p.m.; Tuesdays and Thursdays, noon to 6 p.m.
WHERE: 1559 S. 65th St.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' to open at Inspiration Studios
- 84th Street ramps at I-94 to be open for the Wisconsin State Fair
- West Allis superintendent named to school advocacy group leadership
- Educator from Anchorage likely to take reins of West Allis school
- West Allis schools closing door on bad material, but window open
- Survey: More than half West Allis-West Milwaukee underclassmen feel unsafe (2)
- West Allis school officials worry parents can't monitor iPads (5)
- West Allis police report: July 16
- Doggy to debut in West Allis Players 'Wizard of Oz'
- Police seeking help on finding woman's attacker