Within the month, a crackdown on those who invite rodents by leaving garbage around will come crashing down in West Allis with fines to get the cleanup message through.
Driven by an increasing rat problem on the city's east side that some say is spreading to other areas, the Common Council has ordered increased enforcement of city rules aimed at keeping garbage and trash away from animals.
Normally the city has bent over backward for residents, giving them chance after chance. But there can be no more Mister Nice Guy, said Michael Lewis, public works director.
The clear direction from the city Public Works Committee Tuesday was strict enforcement with almost no mercy, he said.
"That's what we'll do," Lewis said.
Training of Public Works personnel in ticketing procedures should be finished within the month and sloppy residents will start getting tickets then, Lewis said.
The size of those tickets is likely to be $100 or $200 per day, he said. That has to be determined as do the details of how to implement the crackdown, he said. City codes give a leeway of up to $1,000 per day.
To give residents a cheap out, the city is holding a sale on city trash carts. A large 96-gallon cart can be purchased for $30.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis-West Milwaukee taps Shorewood superintendent for top spot
- Students, parents say response to overcrowding at Nathan Hale is unfair
- Glendale mayoral candidates will debate city issues tonight
- Decision delayed on Nathan Hale High School overcrowding
- West Allis police report: March 26, 2015 issue
- Greenfield police report: March 26, 2015 issue
- Greenfield police report: March 19, 2015 issue
- West Allis students star in webcast on educational use of technology streamed to D.C. event
- West Allis school board to hold special meeting to OK superintendent
- Greenfield High School assistant principal going to Arrowhead