Within the month, a crackdown on those who invite rodents by leaving garbage around will come crashing down in West Allis with fines to get the cleanup message through.
Driven by an increasing rat problem on the city's east side that some say is spreading to other areas, the Common Council has ordered increased enforcement of city rules aimed at keeping garbage and trash away from animals.
Normally the city has bent over backward for residents, giving them chance after chance. But there can be no more Mister Nice Guy, said Michael Lewis, public works director.
The clear direction from the city Public Works Committee Tuesday was strict enforcement with almost no mercy, he said.
"That's what we'll do," Lewis said.
Training of Public Works personnel in ticketing procedures should be finished within the month and sloppy residents will start getting tickets then, Lewis said.
The size of those tickets is likely to be $100 or $200 per day, he said. That has to be determined as do the details of how to implement the crackdown, he said. City codes give a leeway of up to $1,000 per day.
To give residents a cheap out, the city is holding a sale on city trash carts. A large 96-gallon cart can be purchased for $30.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- IRS scam returns to West Allis, police warn
- West Allis police report
- Speakers say new fees would endanger Scouting, hamper PTAs and others
- West Allis-West Milwaukee approves tax decrease preliminary budget
- West Allis prepares for Settlers Days weekend
- Hartland girl wins big at the Governor's livestock auction at Wisconsin State Fair
- Proposed medical offices in former Jefferson School painful to some West Allis neighbors
- West Allis considers model pot-bellied pig ordinances (1)
- Lords of the ring: Wrestlers bring the drama at Wisconsin State Fair
- West Allis hotel on Greenfield Avenue sets later grand opening