West Allis Library is thankful it can still stock its shelf
City's budget continues to allow for material acquisitions
West Allis — The West Allis Public Library continues to enjoy city support that allows it to order books and materials patrons want, its director says.
Michael Koszalka says he is relieved that the library has been able to keep its materials acquisition budget strong, despite pressures from a poor economy and the proposed 2014 library budget's 3.9 percent increase.
"Some libraries are struggling with their materials budgets," West Allis Public Library Director said.
The library has spent $281,000 annually for books and other materials for several years, he said. Next year though, it got a $1,000 bump.
To make that money go farther, the library participates in the state buying consortium, Koszalka said.
Traditional books are still very popular at the West Allis Library, he said, but DVDs are also extremely popular.
The library's 2014 budget made it through the Library Board's scrutiny and didn't attract any flak at the Nov. 5, he said. The city's budget reviews continue, but Koszalka is hopeful nothing will change.
"We weren't cut, and these days that's something we're very happy about," he said.
He was able to hold 2014 library spending at zero except for pay, Koszalka said.
Because of the poor economy, wages had been frozen for several years, he said. Small raises were given this year and 2 percent raises are in the 2014 budget, he said. The $71,220 for the raises next year boosted the library's proposed 2014 budget 3.9 percent. The total proposed 2014 budget is $1,895,226.
— Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Energy job cut from tax budget
- West Allis opens arms to long-awaited skate park
- Draft report admits economic harm to West Allis of likely ramp closure (2)
- West Allis woman cares for abandoned dogs; fundraiser on Nov. 22
- News & Notes: Nov. 13, 2014 issue
- Toppers pizza in West Allis tops off governor's election night party
- 'Cinderella' works some magic on West Allis Central stage
- Community Calendar: Nov. 13. 2014
- West Allis refuses to allow drinking on bar decks too close to residences