West Allis Library is thankful it can still stock its shelf
City's budget continues to allow for material acquisitions
West Allis — The West Allis Public Library continues to enjoy city support that allows it to order books and materials patrons want, its director says.
Michael Koszalka says he is relieved that the library has been able to keep its materials acquisition budget strong, despite pressures from a poor economy and the proposed 2014 library budget's 3.9 percent increase.
"Some libraries are struggling with their materials budgets," West Allis Public Library Director said.
The library has spent $281,000 annually for books and other materials for several years, he said. Next year though, it got a $1,000 bump.
To make that money go farther, the library participates in the state buying consortium, Koszalka said.
Traditional books are still very popular at the West Allis Library, he said, but DVDs are also extremely popular.
The library's 2014 budget made it through the Library Board's scrutiny and didn't attract any flak at the Nov. 5, he said. The city's budget reviews continue, but Koszalka is hopeful nothing will change.
"We weren't cut, and these days that's something we're very happy about," he said.
He was able to hold 2014 library spending at zero except for pay, Koszalka said.
Because of the poor economy, wages had been frozen for several years, he said. Small raises were given this year and 2 percent raises are in the 2014 budget, he said. The $71,220 for the raises next year boosted the library's proposed 2014 budget 3.9 percent. The total proposed 2014 budget is $1,895,226.
— Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis city no-tax-increase budget wins common council approval
- Full advisory committee endorses West Allis high school boundary plan
- Christmas deadline nears for Holiday Helper donations in West Allis
- Video: A sneak peek of the new Hampton Inn West in West Allis
- Plans for National Avenue upgrade in West Allis ready for public input (1)
- West Allis girl, 10, receives national lifesaving award Monday
- Steering committee recommends West Allis high school boundary plan (4)
- 169 smoke alarms installed in high-risk West Allis neighborhood (2)
- Hay wagon collects ton of love for needy West Allis families Saturday (1)
- No-tax-increase proposed West Allis budget for 2016 going to a vote