Nathan Hale hosts funny kind of 'Dinner' in West Allis
Honored guest reveals his true nature as comedy play unfolds
West Allis — The comedy "The Man Who Came to Dinner," where the public persona of a witty radio personality is far from the truth of his real and mean self, will open Thursday at Nathan Hale High School, 11601 W. Lincoln Ave.
Discovering the unlovely side of their radio hero was quite a shock to the Ernest W. Stanley family, which was delighted to have the famously acerbic wit Sheridan Whiteside of New York City as a dinner guest. But having dined at the home of the Stanleys, Sheridan slips on their doorstep, breaking his hip.
An outlandish six weeks of confinement with ex-convicts invited to meals and transatlantic telephone calls resulting in a $784 phone bill follow.
Playing the lead role of the irascible Sheridan, who orders one and all around from his wheelchair, will be junior Sam Koenig, who actually uses a wheelchair.
"He's a very talented kid," said director Laura Anderle Smith, noting that Sam has appeared in other school productions, including the leading role of Seymour in Hale's production of "Little Shop of Horrors" last spring. "... He sings beautifully."
Even though Sam has his own prop for the part of the wheelchaired know-it-all, he had to win the role through competitive auditions. But this play will really allow him to shine, Smith said.
"The Man Who Came to Dinner" will be presented at 7 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday and at 2 p.m. Sunday. Admission is $7.
For information, call (414) 604-3200, Ext. 5455.
— Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New job initiatives to launch at West Allis schools
- Twisted Bistro owners want business to become a top dog in West Allis
- West Allis police report: Dec. 18, 2014 issue
- Greenfield police notes Dec. 16, 2014
- Greenfield police report: Dec. 18, 2014 issue
- West Allis-West Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce fundraiser does OK
- Memphis resident honors West Allis girl's memory in St. Jude marathon
- Greenfield police report: Dec. 11, 2014 issue
- West Allis police report: Dec. 11, 2014 issue
- West Allis takes stronger control of pawn shops