Ten winners named
in landscape contest
Greenfield — The Greenfield Beautification Committee has named the winners in its annual landscape beautification contest, recognizing the city's best-looking yards.
Committee judges fanned out over the entire city and selected 10 award winners, two from each aldermanic district. This year's winners are:
· District 1: Jerry and Pat Bub, 3400 block of South 44th Street, and David and Cindy Novara, 3700 block of West Bottsford Avenue;
· District 2: Donald Lewandowski, 4900 block of South 79th Street, and Sue Keane, 4700 block of South 82nd Street;
· District 3: Lynn and Ken Lagoski, 10500 block of West St. Francis Avenue, and Linda Froelich, 12100 block of Black Oak Drive;
· District 4: Kim and Jim Papelbon, 4400 block of South 61st Street, and Lcky and Diane Binelas, 5700 block of West Upham Avenue;
· District 5: Don and Marie Robinette, 2900 block of West Vogel Avenue, and Ted and Darlene Adler, 5500 block of South 42nd Street.
"Best Landscapes in Greenfield" signs will be displayed in the winner's yards.
Homes were selected based on landscape design elements, maintenance, use of accent items and overall appeal. Photos of the yards will be posted on the committee website at www.gbcinfo.org and will be on display at the Greenfield Library and City Hall.
Winners will also be honored at a reception in September.
Taco Bell allowed
to increase operating hours
West Allis — Local franchisees of the Taco Bell at 11011 W. National Ave. have been given permission to extend the hours of their restaurant as part of an expansion of breakfast menu items.
The drive-thru will now operate from 7 a.m. to 2 a.m. Sundays through Tuesdays and 7 a.m. to 3 a.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays. The lobby will be open daily from 7 a.m. to midnight.
The franchisees had previously been permitted to operate the lobby and drive-thru from 9 a.m. to midnight.
The request was approved last week by the city's Plan Commission.
Green and Gold Zone
plans exterior work
West Allis — The exterior of Green and Gold Zone, 2331 S. 108th St., will soon receive a facelift, following approval last week by the Plan Commission.
Brian Starr, owner of the business, came before commissioners and unveiled plans of improving the appearance of the existing building.
Changes will include a revamped entryway, a fresh coat of paint and new awnings and signage.
City will add parking lot
along National Avenue
West Allis — An existing vacant lot at 6215 W. National Ave. will soon be paved, landscaped and repurposed into a municipal parking lot, following action last week by the Plan Commission.
The long-defunct Chalet Restaurant had been at the site, and the building has since been razed as part of a condemnation suit filed by Milwaukee County. Repurposing the site for a parking lot has been touted by city officials as a means of assisting nearby businesses.
Commissioners approved a plan that includes installing a number of green features on the lot, including infrastructure that will help control the flow of stormwater. New landscaping also is planned for the site.
fundraiser for bike trail
West Allis — The 14th Anniversary Hank Aaron State Trail 5K Run/Walk will be held Aug. 10 at the Klement's Sausage Haus at Miller Park in Milwaukee.
The event is the sole fundraiser for the Friends of the Hank Aaron State Trail that runs through West Allis. The Friends maintain, enhance and promote the trail and provide free bike camps each summer for youth in West Allis and in other communities along the trail.
De La Buena will perform live throughout the event and strollers are allowed in the run/walk.
Prizes will be awarded to teams and the top three male and female runners in 14 age categories. Also, every 44th finisher will win a prize in honor of No. 44 Hank Aaron.
It will be a USATF Certified course and the race will be chip timed. It will start at 8:30 a.m. after a 7 to 8:15 a.m. packet pick-up and registration.
A silent auction also will be part of the event.
Classmates sought for Central Class of 1983
West Allis — The Class of 1983 from West Allis Central High School will hold its 30-year reunion and is looking for classmates who are unaware of the planned gathering.
The event begins at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 14 at Matty's Bar and Grill, 14460 W. College Ave., New Berlin. Admission at the door is $30, including the dinner.
For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fresh Thyme Farmers Market coming to 84 South development in Greenfield
- In brief: Reward, state fair deals
- In brief: Police mystery, parks
- In brief: Video contest, cinemas to be razed
- In brief: Whitnall focus group
- In Brief: Dangers, recognition.
- West Allis to hold public hearing for proposed Chick-fil-A restaurant on Highway 100
- News & Notes: Nov. 13, 2014 issue
- News & Notes: Aug. 7, 2014 issue
- In Brief: July 24, 2014 issue
- News & Notes: April 3
- News & Notes: March 18
- News & Notes: March 11
- News & Notes: March 4
- News & Notes: Feb. 25
- News & Notes: Feb. 18