West Allis officials are encouraging business owners and residents to the third set of open house public meetings on Interstate 94 options that could have a crucial affect on the city.
Officials want the on- and off-ramps at 70th/68th streets and at 60th/Hawley Road preserved as they are now partly so that businesses won't be harmed and partly because of fears that West Allis residents will be stuck in backups getting onto the freeway at rush hours.
The open houses will be held next week by the state Department of Transportation.
While most of the I-94 alternatives being considered do include restoring the existing I-94 ramps at 70th/68th and 60th/Hawley, the cheapest alternative does not include all of these ramps. City officials hope to encourage the DOT not to choose the cheapest alternative.
The first open house will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Wisconsin State Fair Park's Tommy Thompson Youth Center, gate 5, at 640 S. 84th St. The second open house will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Wednesday at Marquette University High School, 3401 W. Wisconsin Ave.
The open houses will encompass the entire 2.85-mile project area from 70th to 25th streets.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis names interim police chief, due to Padgett's retirement
- West Allis city no-tax-increase budget wins common council approval
- Full advisory committee endorses West Allis high school boundary plan (1)
- Christmas deadline nears for Holiday Helper donations in West Allis
- Video: A sneak peek of the new Hampton Inn West in West Allis
- Plans for National Avenue upgrade in West Allis ready for public input (1)
- West Allis girl, 10, receives national lifesaving award Monday
- Steering committee recommends West Allis high school boundary plan (4)
- 169 smoke alarms installed in high-risk West Allis neighborhood (2)
- Hay wagon collects ton of love for needy West Allis families Saturday (1)