West Allis - The newest officer on patrol in West Allis is 2 years old.
His name is Jax, a German shepherd and Belgian malinois mix, who raised his paw and was sworn in last week before the West Allis Police and Fire Commission.
With his handler, Officer John Cerqua, Jax will track bad guys, apprehend them (if necessary) and search for evidence.
He joins Sonny, 4, a black Labrador retriever who is in his third year with the West Allis police, and Diesel, 5, a sable shepherd, who has been with the department since October 2009. Diesel also is a patrol dog while Sonny has been trained to sniff out drugs.
West Allis police had been operating with just two dogs, but the success of the golf outing fundraisers enabled the department to add a third canine officer. The cost was about $11,000 to buy and train Jax, said Captain Barry Waddell, who supervises the canine unit. Tax dollars aren't used to obtain police dogs.
The next golf outing to raise money for police dogs will be in June. Golf outing proceeds are saved from year to year so that there is enough to replace a retiring dog.
An appreciation night will be held May 30 for all the businesses that contribute heavily to the success of the golf outings.
- Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis police report: April 23, 2015 issue
- Greenfield police report: April 23, 2015 issue
- Trees being felled at Greenfield Park for golf course upgrades and disease prevention
- Oscar's in West Allis sports new look (5)
- Uncertainty surrounds Bublr Bikes ride-share in West Allis
- 'Moon Over Buffalo' hits West Allis stage
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: April 16
- Military honors West Allis businessman
- National Juniore Honor Society off to fast start at West Milwaukee Intermediate School: NJHS off to fast start in first year
- Tornado watch in effect