West Allis - The city has approved the addition of a new fitness center and a new restaurant, plus the expansion of an existing eatery locally.
No one spoke at recent public hearings for the three proposals.
The Common Council gave its blessings to Xperience Fitness to be located in the West Allis Towne Center, 6706 W. Greenfield Ave., and Bari Pizzeria restaurant to be located at 5919 W. Burnham St.
The local Xperience Fitness will be the fifth in the metropolitan area and the 15th statewide, said Steve Schaer, planning and zoning manager. It will operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week in part of a building built in 1930 by Allis-Chalmers. The use is in line with city zoning and the Plan Commission had no objections, he said.
Bari Pizzeria was approved for part of the building that also housed the former Danny's Lounge, which recently turned over its license to operate and now will be the M&Ms sports bar. Pizzeria hours approved are 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily. The small restaurant will be mainly carryout and delivery, although the owner wants the potential for outdoor seating later. The city requires four parking stalls but none are provided.
Despite that, Alderman Vincent Vitale supported restaurant approval. The building has been vacant off and on, he noted. The fact that the restaurant will not sell alcohol makes it more likely it won't pose a problem for the neighborhood, he said.
Meanwhile, Oscar's Frozen Custard, 2362 S. 108th St., plans to build a drive-through and two additions to its existing site, which was built in the 1960s.
The two additions would total about 1,000 square feet, Schaer said. A more than 500-square-foot addition would go on the north side where the drive-thru will be. A 400-square-foot addition would be on the south side and enclose the restrooms. Currently, customers have to go outside to the restrooms.
The additions would keep the red barn look.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis police report
- Speakers say new fees would endanger Scouting, hamper PTAs and others
- West Allis-West Milwaukee approves tax decrease preliminary budget
- West Allis prepares for Settlers Days weekend
- Hartland girl wins big at the Governor's livestock auction at Wisconsin State Fair
- Proposed medical offices in former Jefferson School painful to some West Allis neighbors
- West Allis considers model pot-bellied pig ordinances (1)
- Lords of the ring: Wrestlers bring the drama at Wisconsin State Fair
- West Allis hotel on Greenfield Avenue sets later grand opening
- Wisconsin State Fair bans sale of Confederate flags (4)