West Allis - The future of Bunkers in downtown West Allis seemed in doubt after its owner emailed regular customers last week telling them that the bar and restaurant would close.
But last Thursday owner Scott Bunker said the eatery at 7420 W. Greenfield Ave. plans to transform itself into an entirely new establishment, reopening with a different concept and name and a revamped menu.
The target is a reopening in the first week of October, but that depends on how soon a custom-made piece of kitchen equipment arrives, Bunker said.
As of last week, he was still choosing from among three new names.
Regular customers should be very pleased with the new restaurant, which will keep all the favorites such as the Friday fish fries and the shrimp peel and eat on Wednesdays, he added.
"We decided to get more casual and family-friendly," Bunker said.
The changeover, in the works for nearly three months, will include adding booths and televisions, changing the menu and adding different drink specials, he said.
"I'm real excited about it," he said.
The restaurant had previously been described as "retro," though it got away from the nostalgic theme along the way, said Bunker, who has owned the eatery for 4½ years. The new décor will be completely different.
"It'll look like a fun place," said Bunker, who predicted his past customers will love it.
- Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Oscar's in West Allis sports new look (5)
- Uncertainty surrounds Bublr Bikes ride-share in West Allis
- 'Moon Over Buffalo' hits West Allis stage
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: April 16
- Military honors West Allis businessman
- National Juniore Honor Society off to fast start at West Milwaukee Intermediate School: NJHS off to fast start in first year
- Tornado watch in effect
- Newcomers make strong showing in West Allis-West Milwaukee race
- West Allis School Board veteran loses board race
- West Allis police report: April 9, 2015 issue