West Allis - The future of Bunkers in downtown West Allis seemed in doubt after its owner emailed regular customers last week telling them that the bar and restaurant would close.
But last Thursday owner Scott Bunker said the eatery at 7420 W. Greenfield Ave. plans to transform itself into an entirely new establishment, reopening with a different concept and name and a revamped menu.
The target is a reopening in the first week of October, but that depends on how soon a custom-made piece of kitchen equipment arrives, Bunker said.
As of last week, he was still choosing from among three new names.
Regular customers should be very pleased with the new restaurant, which will keep all the favorites such as the Friday fish fries and the shrimp peel and eat on Wednesdays, he added.
"We decided to get more casual and family-friendly," Bunker said.
The changeover, in the works for nearly three months, will include adding booths and televisions, changing the menu and adding different drink specials, he said.
"I'm real excited about it," he said.
The restaurant had previously been described as "retro," though it got away from the nostalgic theme along the way, said Bunker, who has owned the eatery for 4½ years. The new décor will be completely different.
"It'll look like a fun place," said Bunker, who predicted his past customers will love it.
- Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis considers fund to help homeowners repair sewer laterals
- License of mobile home park in West Allis could roll away
- 'Mount Stallis' rises in West Allis
- West Allis-West Milwaukee WKCE scores below state average
- Police Report: April 15
- A West Allis initiative wants to spark neighborhood improvements for residents and businesses
- Rats sightings in West Allis rapidly crawling upward
- Outcome of West Allis aldermanic race may be determined by absentee votes
- Longtime incumbent Greenfield alderman upset in race