Teen was driving with expired license in fatal crash, complaint says
West Allis pedestrian was killed
A 19-year-old Muskego woman was driving with an expired license when her car struck and killed a 53-year-old woman in West Allis on Dec. 3, according to a criminal complaint filed Monday.
Sarah C. Mlachnik was driving east on W. National Ave. at S. 97th St. just before 5 p.m. when her car struck Linda Lee Zyduck of West Allis, according to a criminal complaint and a Milwaukee County medical examiner's report.
Zyduck, who used a walker, had just gotten off a bus at the intersection's northeast corner and was walking south across W. National Ave. when she was struck in the right eastbound lane, according to the documents.
Mlachnik stayed at the scene and told police she did not see Zyduck crossing the street, the complaint says. Her driver's license expired Oct. 1 and had not been renewed before the collision, according to the complaint.
Mlachnik is charged with operating without a license, causing death. If convicted of the misdemeanor, she faces up to a $10,000 fine and nine months of imprisonment.
Mlachnik also will be cited for failing to yield the right of way to a pedestrian and operating a motor vehicle without proof of insurance, according to West Allis police.
The medical examiner's report released the day after the collision said police were investigating whether Mlachnik may have been texting just before her car struck Zyduck.
Prosecutors decided there was "not sufficient evidence to indicate that Mlachnik was texting at the time of the crash," Milwaukee County Deputy District Attorney Kent Lovern said Monday.
West Allis Police Chief Michael Jungbluth said Monday, however, that police are considering issuing Mlachnik an additional municipal citation of inattentive driving.
Mlachnik, who is not in custody, is scheduled to make her initial court appearance in connection with the misdemeanor on Monday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis Police Report: Oct. 30, 2014
- Vote at polls on Nov. 4 from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. in West Allis/Greenfield
- West Allis business guide helps entrepreneurs get started
- West Allis to hold hearing on 0.28 percent levy increase 2015 budget
- New venue for the Forks & Corks chamber fundraiser in West Allis
- Speakers split evenly on West Allis proposed sewer lateral program
- Where is West Allis education headed?
- West Allis to start process to approve new city administrator
- West Allis residents may voice opinions on self-funded sewer lateral 'insurance'