Re-creating an old school building
Board proceeds with sale of Parkway Recreation Center
West Allis — The West Allis-West Milwaukee School Board has authorized district administrators to proceed on a $1.1 million sale of the Parkway Recreation Center.
The district will use the money, as planned, to help finance the purchase of two former Allis-Chalmers buildings on 70th Street that it will use to consolidate operations.
The district is also selling off other properties. Still on the market is the district administration building, the former Roosevelt Elementary School and two other pieces of vacant land.
Purchaser and purpose
Business Services Director Deb Rouse would not disclose the buyer because negotiations are not over.
However, according to West Allis Development Director John Stibal, the city has received plans for a day care center involving the site. No other information was available, and the West Allis Plan Commission has not yet reviewed any plans.
The transaction still must meet the usual contingencies, such as environmental inspection, survey, financing and West Allis Common Council approval.
The sale's closing date will be no later than Dec. 1. Rouse said that while she couldn't talk specifics, she was excited about the potential new addition to the community.
Once an elementary school, the Parkway Center, 2930 S. Root River Parkway, now holds the school district recreation department and some programs.
The Recreation Department will move into its new offices at 1205 S. 70th St. later this year, Rouse said.
In addition to the rec department, officials have previously said they expect business services, the technology department, other administrative personnel and a host of other programs and departments to move in by the end of this year.
The district also plans to open a charter school at 1135 S. 70th St. that will house Dottke Alternative High School and programs run through the Cooperative Educational Service Agency, plus other offerings.
- Milwaukee man, 37, charged with sexual assault of a child in West Allis (1)
- The drive is on to improve Greenfield, West Allis roadways
- West Allis to salute veterans with parade, memorial ceremony
- Body in parking lot identified as West Milwaukee man, 23
- Transgender issue sparks questions among Whitnall, West Allis and Greenfield school officials
- Man steals vehicle from business, returns to apply for job
- Greenfield and West Allis campus news: May 26
- Death investigation after body of a man is found in West Milwaukee
- West Allis Police blotter: May 26, 2016
- Splash into these summer drinks to get your tan on