Re-creating an old school building
Board proceeds with sale of Parkway Recreation Center
West Allis — The West Allis-West Milwaukee School Board has authorized district administrators to proceed on a $1.1 million sale of the Parkway Recreation Center.
The district will use the money, as planned, to help finance the purchase of two former Allis-Chalmers buildings on 70th Street that it will use to consolidate operations.
The district is also selling off other properties. Still on the market is the district administration building, the former Roosevelt Elementary School and two other pieces of vacant land.
Purchaser and purpose
Business Services Director Deb Rouse would not disclose the buyer because negotiations are not over.
However, according to West Allis Development Director John Stibal, the city has received plans for a day care center involving the site. No other information was available, and the West Allis Plan Commission has not yet reviewed any plans.
The transaction still must meet the usual contingencies, such as environmental inspection, survey, financing and West Allis Common Council approval.
The sale's closing date will be no later than Dec. 1. Rouse said that while she couldn't talk specifics, she was excited about the potential new addition to the community.
Once an elementary school, the Parkway Center, 2930 S. Root River Parkway, now holds the school district recreation department and some programs.
The Recreation Department will move into its new offices at 1205 S. 70th St. later this year, Rouse said.
In addition to the rec department, officials have previously said they expect business services, the technology department, other administrative personnel and a host of other programs and departments to move in by the end of this year.
The district also plans to open a charter school at 1135 S. 70th St. that will house Dottke Alternative High School and programs run through the Cooperative Educational Service Agency, plus other offerings.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Luther Memorial Church in West Alis to hold spaghetti dinner (1)
- Update: West Allis Central High School students respond calmly during bomb-threat evacuation (11)
- Data skimmers found on several ATMs in West Allis, police warn (2)
- West Allis police blotter: Feb. 4
- West Allis schools to leave SAGE, open more seats for nonresidents (1)
- West Allis schools to start trek back to neighborhood schools in fall (10)
- Freeway lanes in West Allis closed
- Community Calendar: Jan. 28, 2016
- West Allis police report: Jan. 28, 2016
- Video: Third Sandwich-a-Thon in West Allis turns out 400 sandwiches for homeless shelter